Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Foreigner

I'm going to start at the beginning since some of you may not know the story. I'll get caught up to present as soon as I have some photos to post.

Around the end of February a friend and coworker of Rob's talked me into auditioning for a play called The Foreigner. I was hesitant to audition but highly interested in tapping into the dramatic side of myself. Auditions had started at 7 and it was after 7 when we were having this conversation about how well suited I was for a certain part in the play. Our friend told us he was going to send a text to the director and ask him if I could come downtown to audition even though it was late. I decided that if the director answered I would go. If he didn't, I wouldn't go. Well, he answered and off I went to the theatre in Meredith's minivan (I had ridden my bicycle to their house). Despite the 3 beers I drank before leaving the house, the audition went brilliantly and I got the callback the next night and was cast in the play by Thursday morning.

Hold for the irony....

The part that I play is that of Catherine Simms. She is a wealthy, saucy southern girl from Georgia who inherited a large sum of money when her parents passed away. She was a debutante who greatly enjoyed the charmed life before facing the reality of supporting herself and taking on the care of her awkward brother. In the play she is engaged to a preacher named David Lee, so her name would be Catherine Lee. She's a bit spoiled, but entirely unkind and has a certain depth and introspect about her. And she is pregnant.
This is now the beginning of our new adventure. We must have conceived the week I auditioned for the play. We had been trying for several months with no success. I had finally decided that I didn't want to have a baby in November or December because it's SO dark and cold out here during that time. Plus I thought 2010 would be a great year since I was born in 80, my brother in 70, my parents in 50. Mom always said that the way to get pregnant is to get distracted, go into debt, or plan some event that would be significantly less fun if I was pregnant. Sure enough, I was completely distracted by the play and that's when it happened!

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited about your blog LL!! love you and the peanut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the Irony!!! How wonderful! I will still fly out to work & do massage. You know I will! You are gonna need it!

    ReplyDelete