Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

16 Week Appointment

I went to my 16 week appointment yesterday. Everything looked and sounded great. At this stage they have to push so hard on your belly to get the doppler reading that it's kind of uncomfortable but worth it. Uncomfortable but worth it...Am I detecting the recurring theme of pregnancy here?

My friend Meredith saw the same doctor and actually referred me to her. She also referred several of her friends to Dr. Augustyn. At her last appointment she told the doctor she should get a referral gift but that she's had her tubes tied and couldn't think of a gift she could give her at this point. I suggested Dr. Augustyn give ME the gift instead and let me have an ultrasound to see the baby earlier than 20 weeks. Just a sneak peek is all I wanted! When I asked the doctor yesterday she adamantly and humorously stated that she offered no gifts and that she would not be giving away an ultrasound. I hate it when I don't get what I want, but if you don't ask then the answer is definitely no. It was worth a shot.

I have only gained 4.5 pounds since my first visit and I am thrilled about that. Dr. Augustyn says, "Just wait. It'll be slow at first and then you'll come in and be shocked." Thanks, Dr., really. Haha, oh well. It's just my body filling with fluids and nutrients to support our little one inside. It's a pretty remarkable concept to think about. I have become this life-giving vessel and I have so many reactions going on in my body all designed in perfect harmony to be able to grow a healthy baby. Some of these reactions are more pleasant than others. Radiant skin glow due to higher blood volume, that's nice. Hormonal volatility (axe murderer syndrome at times), not so nice.

One of the most amazing natural responses to me is immune suppression. The body has to suppress its immune functions so it doesn't reject the baby. You would think it would do the opposite to make itself super healthy and not prone to illnesses, but the body sees the baby as a foreign object that the body would reject otherwise if not for a weakened immune system. It's fascinating! Remind me of this when I get sick. The only sickness I've had so far is morning sickness still, but it's not that bad and it's better now than it was.

I'll post more later on a funny blog I came across written by the father. I was laughing so hard reading about the argument they got into after a seemingly peaceful walk to the mailbox. If you care to check it out the website is www.hisboyscanswim.com. Love and later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment